Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Things 4-5 Flickr

I love Flickr!

I have a Flickr account for Northern Lights Library Network (NLLN) and regularly post photos there of events and activities occuring throughout the NLLN region. I recently posted pictures from the MEMO Midwinter Conference last week and there are photos from other events, the Governing Board, Conferences, Spotlight on Books, etc.

One really great thing about Flickr is the ability to post directly to the Northern Lights Insights blog from Flickr -- photo and commentary created without leaving Flickr! It's fast, it's convenient, and it works slick!

For $25 a year I have a "pro" account that allows for lots of storage, easy uploading, and permanancy. Well worth the fee, in my opinion.

I also have a personal Flickr account that allows my far-flung family and friends to share their lives with each other. I have a childhood friend who has lived in Singapore for more than 30 years. She and I have not seen each other in a long time or seen each other's children, but through Flickr she has a sense of my family in all its strange and wonderful ways! I have a daughter living in Costa Rica, a daughter living in Montana, a son in Minneapolis, parents, siblings, and friends all across a variety of states. Sharing pictures via Flickr is easy, anyone can see them, can comment, can share their pictures -- it just helps us feel more in contact and it eliminates all those .jpg files anonymously filling up computer hard drives!

I love Flickr and all the nifty, nifty things you can do with it and with it in combination with other Web 2.0 tools.

No comments: